Those who follow my blog probably know that last year I attended the Homeric Writers’ Retreat & Workshop on the Greek isle of Ithaca as an instructor. It was the retreat’s first year and the event was a fabulous success, as I blogged about before. Though my newborn daughter is preventing me from returning to Greece again this summer (I will return to instruct in August 2014!), the annual retreat is back in 2013, and I wanted to spread the word about it. The 2013 Homeric Writers’ Retreat & Workshop will be held Aug. 1-7, 2013 on Ithaca, and the primary instructor this year is literary agent Katharine Sands of Sarah Jane Freymann Literary. There is a lot about the retreat to review, so check out the webpage for all details about what attendees get.
This is an international writing retreat from Aug. 1-7, 2013 on a Greek isle. It has sessions, excursions, social events, lots of personalized critiques, and more. It’s a retreat designed for a small attendance to give maximum intimate writing attention to each person.
WHAT ATTENDEES GET
There will be workshops on the craft and business. The two primary instructors are Katharine Sands, a New York literary agent with the Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency, and Beatriz Badikian-Gartler, a popular performer in the Chicago area who often lectures on women’s issues, art, and literature. In 2000 Badikian was selected as one of the “100 Women Who Make a Difference in Chicago” by Today’s Woman magazine. Together they will be teaching about subjects such as the state of the marketplace, how to pitch your work to agents/editors, how to promote and publicize your writing, writing travel essays, composing life stories, and writing short stories.
Some exciting news: Following the first year, one of the retreat attendees, Kari DeSanti, received agent representation after instructors’ critiqued her work.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY FOR 2013
The Vine Leaves Literary Journal is hosting an amazing scholarship contest through April 30, 2013. See all details on their website, but it’s a contest where you submit an entry of prose or poetry, and the top winner gets free admission to the 2013 retreat (a value of more than $2,000 / 1500 euros!).
JUST SOME AWESOME IMAGES FROM THE 2012 EVENT:
Again, please feel free to check out my summary of the 2012 event. It has lots more photos of the retreat to enjoy.
I Will Speak At These Great Writing Events in 2012-2013:
- June 7-8: Clarksville Writers Conference (Clarksville, TN)
- June 22-24: Crested Butte Writers Conference (Crested Butte, CO)
- July 26-28: Midwest Writers Workshop (Muncie, IN)
- Aug. 2-8: Homeric Writers Retreat & Workshop (Isle of Ithaca, Greece)
- Sept. 13-14: Chicago Writers Conference (Chicago, IL)
- Feb. 14-17, 2013: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- April 5-7. 2013: Writer’s Digest Conference East (New York, NY)
- April 19-20, 2013: Kentucky Writers Conference (Bowling Green, KY)
- May 17-19, 2013: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- May 23-26, 2013: Writers Guild of Alberta “Words in 3D” Event (Edmonton, Canada)
- June 6-7, 2013: Clarksville Writers Conference (Clarksville, TN)
- June 7-8, 2013: Carnegie Literary Center “Books-in-Progress Conference” (Lexington, KY)
- June 21-23, 2013: Agents & Editors Conference / Writers League of Texas (Austin, TX)